NEW ALBANY — The Floyd County Library will continue the free lunchtime concert series with a new lineup of performances for winter/spring 2019.
The First Friday Concerts are scheduled at noon on the first Friday of the month, January through June. Concert-goers are welcome to bring and enjoy their lunch in the library’s café area. Each concert lasts about 30 minutes, making it possible for members of the community to enjoy high-quality musical performances over a lunch break. The concerts are free and open to the public, no registration required, all ages welcome.
The First Friday Concerts are co-sponsored by the Kentuckiana Association of Musicians and Singers, and Dahmke Piano Technicians. The mission of the Kentuckiana Association of Musicians and Singers is to reach out to artists throughout Kentuckiana, helping everyone that plays or sings to enjoy making music together. The association has selected the performers and well-rounded, accessible pieces for each concert.
• Friday, Jan. 4, noon, Lydia Wiseheart (harp), in the upstairs reading area. Program: Sonata in C minor - Andantino Espressivo (Giovanni Battista Pescetti); Jazz Band (Marcel Tournier); “I Need Thee Every Hour” (arr. Walton); “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms” (arr. Walton); Fantasy on a Theme by Haydn (Grandjany)
• Friday, Feb. 1, noon, Rachel Hofmeister (violin); Owen Heritage (piano) in Strassweg Auditorium downstairs. Program: Tempo de Minuetto (Fritz Kreisler); Edelweiss (Rodgers); The Swan (Saint-Saëns); Medley of Irish tunes (Trad); Meditation from Thais (Massenet); Csardas (V. Monti)
• Friday, March 1, noon, Kenji Tashiro (tenor); Owen Heritage (piano) in the upstairs reading area. Program: Nell, Au Bord de l’Eau, Automne (Gabriel Fauré); Soupir, Chanson Triste (Henri Duparc); Idéale (Francesco Paolo Tosti); No Puede Ser (Pablo Sorozábal)
• Friday, April 5, noon, Guitar students from the University of Louisville Music Department; New Albany Community Orchestra in the upstairs reading area. Concerto for Two Guitars (Vivaldi) and works for solo guitar.
• Friday, May 3, noon, A Celtic Lunch in the upstairs reading area. Romana Berenith (guitar, voice) and Owen Heritage (keyboards, voice) present a program of songs from Scotland and Ireland.
• Friday, June 7, noon, New Albany Community Choir in the upstairs reading area. The New Albany Community Choir performs a selection of popular classics.