ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Ariel Martin (Purdue women’s swimming, Jeffersonville graduate, Jr.) — top performance: four victories (50-yard freestyle, 100 free, 200 free, 400 free relay) in a 171-129 home victory over Notre Dame last Friday; season-best times in the 50 free (23.23) and 100 free (50.78); notes: two more victories (50 free, 400 free relay) in the Boilermakers’ 156-144 home win over Northwestern last Saturday. It was her third victory in as many races in the 50 free this season, as she matched her season-best time of 23.23. Martin helped the 400 free relay squad post an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 3:23.02. She also was second in the 100 free (51.16) and third in the 200 free (1:50.9) against the Wildcats.
• Jonathan Akemon (Anderson football, Jr.) — notes: one tackle in the Ravens’ 37-6 home loss to Rose-Hulman last Saturday. Akemon has been invited to the Division III Senior Football Classic on Dec. 5 in Salem, Va., as a long snapper.
CHRISTIAN ACADEMY OF INDIANA
• Nathan Beckley (Union men’s basketball, Jr.) — notes: one rebound in the Bulldogs’ 78-59 setback on Tuesday at IU East.
• Kayla Koerber (Lindsey Wilson volleyball, So.) — weekly stats: eight kills, seven blocks (all assist), four digs; top performance: seven kills, five blocks and four digs in the Blue Raiders’ 3-1 win over the Cumberlands on Tuesday in the first round of the Mid-South Conference Tournament in Frankfort, Ky.; notes: Koerber was selected to the Academic All-Mid-South Conference team; season-ending stats: 145 kills, 48 blocks.
• Keshia Johnson-Isgrigg (IU Southeast volleyball, Fr.) — notes: two digs in the Grenadiers’ 3-0 loss last Saturday at IU East.
• Alex Adams (Campbellsville men’s soccer, Jr.) — notes: Adams started in the Tigers’ 1-0 loss to the University of the Cumberlands in the first round of the Mid-South Conference Tournament last Saturday in Williamsburg, Ky.
• Abby Baumgartle (DePauw women’s swimming, Fr.) — notes: sixth in the 200 freestyle relay in a 150-144 victory last Saturday at Wittenberg, 1:54.22. She also was ninth in the 200 free and 11th in the 100 free.
• Morgan Baumgartle (Ball State women’s swimming, Fr.) — top performance: second in the 200 individual medley in a 186-109 loss at Akron last Friday, 2:17.83; notes: third in the 400 freestyle relay against Akron (3:58.66) and in the 400 IM last Saturday at Buffalo in a 161-137 setback.
• Ashlie Haworth (Lindsey Wilson volleyball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 23 digs, 17 kills, two aces; top performance: 13 kills, 12 digs and a match-high two aces in Lindsey’s 3-1 victory over the Cumberlands on Tuesday in the opening round of the Mid-South Conference Tournament; notes: Haworth earned a spot on the all-Mid-South Conference squad; season-ending stats: team-high 374 digs, 292 kills, team-high 57 aces.
• Abbey Holderman (Louisville women’s rowing, So.) — notes: Holderman and the Cardinals earned two top-three finishes and five top-10 finishes in last Saturday’s Head of the Hooch Regatta in Chattanooga, Tenn.
• Sarah Kline (Lindsey Wilson volleyball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 52 assists, 22 digs, five blocks (one solo, four assist), two aces; top performance: match-highs in assists (31) and aces (two) along with team-high 16 digs and four blocks in the Blue Raiders’ 3-1 victory over the Cumberlands in the first round of the Mid-South Conference Tournament on Tuesday; notes: Kline made the all-Mid-South Conference and the Academic All-MSC teams; season-ending stats: team-high 552 assists, 261 digs, 59 kills, 16 aces.
• Lauren McCartin (IU Southeast volleyball, So.) — weekly stats: eight digs, three assists.
• Caitlin Morency (Anderson volleyball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 33 digs; top performance: team-high 19 digs in the Ravens’ 3-1 semifinal loss to Mt. St. Joseph in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament last Saturday in Bluffton, Ohio; notes: Morency has been named the HCAC Defensive MVP for the second consecutive season. She also earned a spot on the all-HCAC first team; season-ending stats: team-high 687 digs, team-high 32 aces.
• Lindsey Ragland (Louisville volleyball, Fr.) — notes: one dig in the Cardinals’ 3-1 victory last Sunday at Georgetown.
• Katy Schad (Marshall volleyball, Fr.) — notes: Schad played in the Thundering Herd’s 3-0 home win against UAB last Friday.
• Chet Werncke (IU Southeast men’s basketball, Fr.) — notes: four rebounds in the Grenadiers’ 111-68 home win over Ivy Tech last Saturday in the Joe B. and Denny Classic.
• Brittany Wilson (Montevallo volleyball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 48 digs, eight assists, four aces; top performance: match-highs in digs (28) and aces (two) along with two kills in the Falcons’ 3-2 home win over South Carolina-Aiken last Friday.
• Brandon McGloshen (Indianapolis men’s cross country, So.) — notes: 124th in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional last Saturday in Kenosha, Wis., 39:53.
• Dylan Abrahamson (Hanover men’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: Abrahamson was a second-team selection for the all-HCAC squad. He attempted one shot in the Panthers’ 2-1 loss last Saturday at Transylvania in the championship of the HCAC Tournament; season-ending stats: 18 shots, eight shots on goal, three assists.
• Antonio Ballard (Miami of Ohio men’s basketball, Jr.) — notes: five rebounds and two points in the Redhawks’ 70-48 exhibition victory over Saginaw Valley State last Sunday at home.
• Trea Burgess (Indiana football, So.) — notes: four carries on 7 yards, including a 2-yard touchdown run, and one tackle in the Hoosiers’ 31-28 loss to Wisconsin last Saturday at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington.
• Jasmine Cain (IU Southeast women’s basketball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 10 points, 10-of-14 free throws, six rebounds, two steals.
• Becky Cissel (King women’s wrestling, Fr.) — notes: loss by technical fall in a 55-kilogram match in a home dual-meet setback to Oklahoma City on Oct. 31, 39-3. Cissel also started in King’s 30-15 home setback to Missouri Baptist on Oct. 31. The two dual meets were the first two in the history of the King women’s wrestling program.
• Tyler Dixon (Ball State men’s swimming, Sr.) — top performance: third in the 200 medley relay in the Cardinals’ 158-137 loss last Saturday at Buffalo, 1:36.07; notes: fourth in both the 100 backstroke (55.08) and 200 back (1:59.95) against the Bulls.
• Marc Fridley (Mt. St. Joseph’s wrestling, So.) — notes: 1-2 record in the Baldwin-Wallace Duals last Saturday in Berea, Ohio; lone win was in 24-19 win over Baldwin-Wallace, a 3-0 decision at 197 pounds over defending Ohio state high school runner-up Cody Quick.
• Jamie Goldsmith (Iowa Western CC football, Fr.) — season-ending stats: 61 carries for 208 yards and three touchdowns; three receptions for 36 yards.
• Sabrina Johnson (Xavier women’s basketball, Jr.) — notes: Johnson played two minutes in the Musketeers’ 76-48 home exhibition victory over Indianapolis last Saturday.
• Josh Lowery (IU Southeast men’s basketball, Sr.) — notes: six points on 2-of-3 shooting in the Grenadiers’ 111-68 home victory over Ivy Tech last Saturday in the Joe B. and Denny Classic.
• Neal Masterson (Bellarmine men’s cross country, Jr.) — notes: 75th in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional last Saturday in Kenosha, Wis., 35:56.
• Brandon McGhee (Indiana football, So.) — notes: McGhee saw action in the Hoosiers’ 31-28 home loss to Wisconsin last Saturday.
• Evon Russell (Dana wrestling, Jr.) — notes: 1-2 record in the 141-pound division at the Kaye Young Open last Saturday in Mason City, Iowa. His lone victory was by a 15-9 decision in the opening round of the loser’s bracket.
• LaVon Carter (Indiana State football, Jeffersonville native, So.) — notes: Carter saw action in the Sycamores’ 31-7 loss last Saturday at Missouri State.
• Felicia Adams (Hanover women’s soccer, Sr.) — notes: Adams attempted one shot in the Panthers’ 2-0 home loss to Transylvania in the championship of the HCAC Tournament last Saturday; season-ending stats: 29 shots, 12 shots on goal, four assists, two goals.
• William Barber (Berea men’s basketball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 13 points, 6-11 FG, 1-3 3-pt., five assists, four rebounds, two steals; top performance: 11 points on 5-of-6 shooting and two rebounds in Berea’s 99-66 victory over Virginia Intermont last Friday in the Asbury College Classic.
• Craig Bryant (IU Southeast men’s basketball, Sr.) — weekly stats: 34 points, 11-27 FG, 5-14 3-pt., 7-10 FT, 14 rebounds, four steals, three assists, three blocks; top performance: 13 points on 3-of-8 shooting from the field and 6-of-8 from the free-throw line along with seven rebounds and two blocks in the Grenadiers’ 100-87 home victory over Mid-Continent in the Joe B. and Denny Classic last Friday.
• Stephanie Cave (Indianapolis women’s cross country, Fr.) — notes: 53rd in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional last Saturday in Kenosha, Wis., 24:08.
• Cordario Collier (Thomas More football, Sr.) — notes: nine carries for 17 yards and five receptions for 18 yards in the Saints’ 21-12 Senior Day victory against Geneva last Saturday at home.
• Chris Farley (Thomas More football, Sr.) — notes: four receptions for a game-high 104 yards in the Saints’ 21-12 home against Geneva last Saturday on Senior Day at Thomas More.
• Braydon Hobbs (Bellarmine men’s basketball, So.) — top performance: 12 points on 4-of-9 shooting, including 4-of-8 from 3-point range, and a game-high seven assists in the Knights’ exhibition victory over Kentucky State last Saturday at Knights Hall, 84-67.
• Emily Knight (IU Southeast volleyball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 26 digs; top performance: 13 digs in the Grenadiers’ 3-0 victory over Berea last Saturday at the IU East tri-match in Richmond.
• Carissa Martin (Bellarmine women’s cross country, So.) — notes: 32nd in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional last Saturday in Kenosha, Wis., 23:46.
• Lauren Nash (Manchester volleyball, Jr.) — notes: Nash was named to the honorable-mention list of the all-HCAC team.
• Hannah Sullivan (Ball State volleyball, Jr.) — weekly stats: 26 kills, 22 digs, two assists; top performance: match- and season-high 20 kills and 15 digs in the Cardinals’ 3-2 home setback to Eastern Michigan last Friday.
• Jillian Charlet (Winston-Salem State women’s basketball, So.) — notes: four rebounds in the Rams’ 63-36 home exhibition victory over Southern Virginia last Saturday.
• Alden Krausse (IU Southeast women’s basketball, Floyds Knobs native, Jr.) — weekly stats: 18 points, 7-of-17 FG, 1-of-2 3-pt., 3-of-5 FT, 15 rebounds, four blocks, two steals.
• Justin Benedetti (Bellarmine men’s basketball, Jr.) — top performance: 15 points on 5-of-10 shooting, including 3-of-7 from 3-point range, and three assists in the Knights’ 84-67 home win over Kentucky State last Saturday in exhibition action.
• Ethan Cook (Franklin football, Fr.) — notes: 10 carries on 32 yards, two receptions for 10 yards and two kickoff returns for 51 yards in the Grizzlies’ 28-21 home win over Manchester last Saturday.
• Laura Jenkins (Manchester women’s soccer, Fr.) — notes: Jenkins was named to the all-HCAC season team.
• Katie Knott (Southern Indiana volleyball, Jr.) — notes: two kills in the Screaming Eagles’ 3-1 victory last Friday at Illinois-Springfield.
• Lucy Knott (Bellarmine volleyball, Fr.) — notes: two digs in the Knights’ 3-0 loss last Friday at Missouri-St. Louis; season-ending stats: 24 kills, eight digs.
ROCK CREEK CHRISTIAN
• Elana Eickholtz (Oakland City volleyball, Jr.) — notes: Eickholtz played in the Oaks’ four-set home victory over Brescia on Tuesday.
• Alexis Bauer (Samford volleyball, Floyds Knobs native, Fr.) — weekly stats: 27 digs, three assists; top performance: match-high 14 digs in the Bulldogs’ 3-0 home win over Appalachian State last Saturday.
• Brendan Chwalek (Nova Southeastern men’s cross country, Fr.) — top performance: 19th in the NCAA Division II South Regional last Saturday in Dover, Fla., 33:40; notes: The Sharks finished third in the regional to qualify for the D-II Championships for the first time. The D-II Championships will be Saturday, Nov. 21 in Evansville.
• Alex Jones (Bellarmine men’s cross country, So.) — notes: 26th in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional last Saturday in Kenosha, Wis., 34:09.
• Lindsey Maymon (IU Southeast volleyball, Fr.) — weekly stats: 23 digs, six assists, four kills, four aces, three blocks (all solo); top performance: team-high 16 digs, five assists, two kills and two blocks in the Grenadiers’ three-set loss last Saturday at IU East.
• Stephanie Steele (Butler volleyball, Sr.) — weekly stats: eight kills, eight digs, seven blocks (all assist); top performance: eight kills, five block assists and four digs in a five-set victory against Illinois-Chicago last Saturday at Hinkle Fieldhouse; notes: The Illinois-Chicago match was Steele’s first start of the season. It also was Senior Night at Butler.
• Ryan Strom (Marian men’s cross country, Sr.) — notes: 38th in the Mid-Central Conference Championships last Saturday in Fort Wayne, 29:01. Strom helped the Knights win their first-ever MCC Championship and earned a spot in the NAIA Men’s Cross Country National Championships on Saturday, Nov. 21 in Vancouver, Wash.
If you have any information on area college athletes, contact Kevin Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-206-2117.
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
This Week's Circulars
Ronald L. Kepley, age 67, passed away Tuesday, September 29, 2020. Ronald was born December 23, 1952 in New Albany, Indiana to the late Donald and Wanda Kintner Kepley. Ron graduated from Providence High School, Clarksville, IN in 1971 and Indiana University Southeast in 1978. He was a manag…
Mike was born in New Albany and graduated from Floyd Central High School in1978 and Hanover College in 1983. Mike worked in the film industry for 30 years. His first film credit was in the movie "Hoosiers". He later worked and retired from 20th Century Fox retiring,as the Executive VP in cha…
- Longtime Harvest Homecoming vendors selling food despite festival cancellation
- New Albany man shot by police charged with attempted murder
- Wildlife in Need owner Tim Stark facing battery, intimidation charges in Clark County
- Funding secured to remove dangerous dam on Silver Creek
- New Albany to improve drainage in exchange for blighted property in apartment deal
- A LIFE REGAINED: He's grateful for Clark County court addiction program
- HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: Michalski decommits from Cardinals
- Baptist Health Floyd eliminating 36 jobs
- Community remembers businessman, philanthropist Jim Padgett
- HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: A coach called 'Dad'